Most of my research is related to Human-Robot Interaction (HRI) and Human-Computer Interaction (HCI). Also listed is some work in human factors (medical and military domains). I’m happy to answer questions about my work, especially if you are citing (in which case I would very much appreciate a note).
Peer-reviewed journal papers
- Li, J., and Chignell, M. (2011) “Communication of Emotion in Social Robots through Simple Head and Arm Movements.” International Journal of Social Robotics (IJSR), 3(2): 125-142 [.pdf]
- Li, J., Chignell, M. (2010) “Birds of a Feather: How Personality Affects Blog Reading and Writing.” International Journal of Human-Computer Studies (IJHCS), 68(9): 589-602 [.pdf]
- Top-ranked journal in Computer Science (5-year impact factor: 2.902; ranked 3/26 journals in Computer Science & Cybernetics)
- Selected media coverage: Psychology Today (online)
Peer-reviewed conference papers
- Li, J., and Chignell, M. (in press) “Weakness Exploitation Theory: McLuhanism and the rise of embodied computation.” McLuhan 100: Then | Now | Next. Toronto, Canada (Accepted August 8, 2011 as oral presentation)
- Li, J., Chignell, M., Mizobuchi, S., and Yasumura, M. (2009) “Emotions and Messages in Simple Robot Gestures.” Proceedings of Human-Computer Interaction International (HCII 2009), San Diego, CA. [.pdf] (Accepted as oral presentation)
- Li, J., and Chignell, M. (2009) “Do Puppeteers Design Better Robot Gestures?” Proceedings of Human-Robot Personal Relationships (HRPR 2009), Leiden, NL. [.pdf] (Accepted as oral presentation)
- Kastner, M., Li, J., and Straus, S. (2007) “Bridging the gap between evidence and practice: Development of a prototype tool to support clinical decision making in Osteoporosis disease management at the point of care.” Canadian Society of Internal Medicine (CSIM). (Accepted as oral presentation)
- Li, J., Randall, J., and Guan, L. (2003) “Perceptual Image Processing for Digital Edge Linking.” Proc. of IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, Montréal, Canada. [.pdf] (Accepted as oral presentation)
- Li, J. (2008) Gesture Communication in Social Robots: Four Experiments. MASc Thesis, University of Toronto [.pdf]
Advisor: Mark H. Chignell
- Li, J. (2006) Cognitive Interface Concepts To Support Target Identification In Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. BASc Thesis, University of Toronto [.pdf]
Advisor: Greg A. Jamieson
- Li, J, and Chignell, M. (2009). Birds of a Feather: How Personality Influences Blog Writing and Reading (IML 2009-1) Toronto: Interactive Media Lab. [.pdf]
- Li, J., Chignell, M., Sachi, M., and Yasumura, M. (2008). Gesture Communication in Simple Robotic Movement: Emotions, Message and Lifelikeness (IML 2008-1). Toronto: Interactive Media Lab. [.pdf]
- Jamieson, G. A., Wang, L., and Li, J. (2006). Developing Human-Machine Interfaces to Support Monitoring of UAV Automation (CEL 06-02). Toronto: Cognitive Engineering Laboratory. [.pdf]
Invited Presentations / Conference Presentations
- Li, J. (2011) “The Rise and Fall of Technology Empires,” UX Camp LA. Los Angeles, CA. June 4, 2011.
- Li, J. (2010) “The Design of Social Robots,” University of Toronto Course (MIE344: Design of Information Systems), Toronto, ON. March 5, 2010. Invited guest lecture.
- Li, J. (2007) “Messages in Movement: How People Perceive Gestures of a Low Degree-of-Freedom Robot”, Nokia Research Center, Tokyo, Japan.
- Li, J. (2007) “Body Language of Robots,” Inter-regional Human-Factors Conference (Student Conference), Waterloo, ON.